E-Blast, October 2017
E-Blast, October 2017
As a subscriber, you will receive this E-Blast to your inbox every month. The goal of the E-Blast is to keep everyone in the NFN Regional Consortium up-to-date on news, events and other activities happening both in our region and the state. If you would like something placed into the E-blast and/or NFNRC Calendar, please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org (please submit by 5pm on the first Monday of the month to be included in that month’s newsletter).
A full calendar and more information can be found on the Member Hub of the NFNRC website.
Please see the Action News video & article link below for the Shasta Regional Medical Center and Shasta College Health-Career Exploration Summer Institute (HESI) program. Forty-six students were able to participate in one of the four programs that took place during summer 2017 in the far north region.
These programs are a collaborative effort of industry, colleges, pathway trusts, WDB, County Office of Education, SB1070, and K-12 Districts/teachers.
October 3rd and 4th – Shasta College hosted its annual Weld Academy in Redding California. For two days Shasta College Welding and Advanced Manufacturing faculty, in conjunction with trainers and representatives from Miller Electric, showcased the latest in tools and technology in welding and fabrication to participating regional High Schools. High School Students and Welding Technology instructors learned about various types of welding, equipment, and techniques and then practiced these techniques learned in the lab. Shasta College faculty and Welding Technology students assisted the high school students throughout the trainings. For visiting high school students, the day was spent being exposed to cutting-edge technology, experimenting with different welding techniques that the high schools do not have the equipment for, or using powerful machinery beyond what a high school can afford. In doing so, Weld Academy allowed students to connect with local welding and manufacturing businesses while getting to see what the Welding and Industrial Technology Programs have to offer at Shasta College.
For more information, contact Charlie Pooler, the Deputy Sector Navigator for Advanced Manufacturing in the Far North at email@example.com.
October is national Cybersecurity Awareness month with many events planned that are designed to connect education, industry and government to further the work of promoting cybersecurity throughout California. Make sure to visit the California Cyberhub to find an event near you.
This fun, fast-paced collaborative class opens student’s eyes to ICT pathways and regional careers.
October 17-19, 2017 McClellan Park, CA
Join CEA Region 7 at the 2017 Fall Training Symposium for a look at current practices that are providing sweeping changes to the federal, state, county, local and private correctional systems. Registration and more information
• HTEC pre conference networking/social 10/6 5-7pm Rocklin Hacker Lab HTEC Conference
• 10/18 – Collaboration Day for GoEngineer Product Offering with SME Sacramento Valley to be held at Tri-Tool, Inc. in Rancho Cordova. This event is open to all who are interested in learning about and seeing the latest in 3D printing including desktop metal printing.
• Industry Tour of Motion Control Engineering, Rancho Cordova, 10/20
• Industry Tour of H.C. Muddox, Sacramento, 10/25
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
October 20, 2017 Tahoe Mountain Lab, 3079 Harrison Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
October 24, 2017 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Capitol Event Center
1020 11th Street, second floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Placerville, CA 10/25 Contact Brooks Ohlson at email@example.com for more information.
October 25: Mendocino College, more info: CCCAOE website
• October 6th through October 7th, 2017
-hosted by Los Rios Community College District at LRCCD Workforce and Economic Development Building in Sacramento, CA
• November 16th through November 17th, 2017 (2 locations)
-hosted by Feather River College in Quincy, CA venue TBD
-hosted by Lake Tahoe Community College at Beach Retreat and Lodge at Tahoe,
3411 Lake Tahoe Blvd, South Lake Tahoe, CA Flyer
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Nov. 29 – Dec. 1, 2017
Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown – Capitol Plaza
300 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
SAVE THE DATE: Thursday, December 7, 2017
Third annual Career Technical Education (CTE) Counselor Conference, December 7, 2017 8:00 – 4:00 at the Citrus Heights Community Center. Last year, over 300 high school and community college counselors attended, register today! Event information
Butte College is currently recruiting for the position: Director, Industrial Technology Programs
Visit the Human Resources website https://agency.governmentjobs.com/buttecc/default.cfm for more information.
2017-18 Request for Applications (RFA)
The California Apprenticeship Initiative, Pre-Apprenticeship and Enhanced on the Job Training Grant Program RFA Instructions, Terms, and Conditions describe opportunities and application requirements for these competitive grant opportunities available to California Community College Districts, California Department of Education Local Educational Agencies, including Regional Occupational Centers and Programs and County Offices of Education. All application materials can be accessed at:
The California Community Colleges Economic and Workforce Development (EWD) Program Small Business Sector is seeking applications for Faculty Entrepreneurship Champion mini-grant projects. Under this RFA, a total of ten Faculty Entrepreneurship Champion Mini-grants will be funded. Applications are due by 5 PM October 20th, 2017. Each mini-grant will be for not more than $7,500 (no matching funds are required, but projects that leverage local/regional Strong Workforce Program funding will be given priority). Faculty Entrepreneurship Champion mini-grant projects should be focused on one or more of the following activities:
• Embedding/Infusing small business/entrepreneurship curriculum into existing Career Technical Education (CTE) classes and programs.
• Creation of credit, non-credit and not-for-credit small business/entrepreneurship courses and programs (e.g. stackable certificates, badges, low-unit certificates, certificates of achievement, or AA/AS/AA-T/AS-T degrees).
• Creation of entrepreneurship pathways from middle school, high school, community college, four year universities and development of articulation agreements associated with these pathways.
• Small business and entrepreneurship related experiential learning opportunities such as setting up student run businesses, entrepreneurship centers, student business clubs, business incubators, accelerators, makerspaces, co-working spaces, internship programs, or business pitch competitions.
For more information, contact Rachelle Modena, Far North Small Business Deputy Sector Navigator (530)242-7635 email@example.com, Cornelius Brown, Greater Sacramento Small Business Deputy Sector Navigator (916) 661-5708 firstname.lastname@example.org or Charles Eason, Small Business Sector Navigator (707) 863-7846 email@example.com.
Pre-bid meeting: SBA Sacramento Office, Citrus Heights October 11th.
CSU Chico State University has decided not to try to retain the SBDC Lead Center for the Northeastern CA SBDC Network. Meeting time and agenda TBD. For more information, please contact David Castaneda, Economic Development Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Conference November 1-3
Omni Rancho Las Palmas
41000 Bob Hope Drive
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
Please RSVP to in-person Regional Meetings, visit NFNRC.org; click on the Contact and Meeting RSVPtab at the bottom right hand corner of the website.
• October 23: Coordinating Council Meeting @10am
• Nov 2: Program Recommendation Meeting, details TBD
• Jan 24-25: Regional Meeting @9am Face to Face, location TBD. SAVE THE DATE! Please RSVP to in-person Regional Meetings, visit NFNRC.org; click on the Contact and Meeting RSVP tab at the bottom right hand corner of the website.